Friday, February 22, 2008

Airline Tickets and AARP

Well, this week has been productive....not only did we get the travel approval necessary for collecting little ZhongZhong, but also purchased airline tickets to haul our behinds to China, AND more exciting, I recevied my first AARP card in the mail.


Now, I know that I am getting "up there" in years compared to some that are still adding to their families, but come on people.....my family will be complete after this adoption, and I will STILL be "only" 40! Now, I admit that this number is a far cry from the "35" I planned as the "family cut off date" more than a decade ago, and before I even had kiddlets. But in the scheme of things, given I was 35.5 ( I count in half years as if I were still in elementary school) when my first child came home, and I am now nearly 4 kids into this parenting thing, I don't think I've done too badly. The reality of an (unsolicited) AARP card in my name is disconcerting nonetheless. And the letter that boldly stated "You are now elgible." What's a woman to do??


Our travel plans are coming together and we will be leaving Albuquerque on March 6th, arriving in China on March 8th. We will meet Zhong on the 10th, and the rest will fall into place thereafter. Hubbie will be flying home on March 12th. I haven't received the official itinerary from our agency, but do know that our visa appointment at the consulate in Guangzhou has been scheduled for March 17th, and my flight home leaves China on March 19th. Compared to our Vietnamese adoptions, this in-country trip is so quick. 16 months ago we were about to leave to pick up T, know that it would be about 27 days before we returned home. I will be gone exactly 14 days, and that includes nearly two days of travel on either side of being in China. Amazing!

I am starting to get really excited about this adventure.

6 comments:

juana said...

Perhaps it's like dog years, as you have more children, you age 7 years faster than you would normally. If you think of it that way, you're really 61- but will be 68 soon... AARP should be sending you a GOLD CARD!!!

Love the blog- and all the knitted hats!

Love Juana

Molly said...

oooooh. I just realized that ALMOST more than meeting the sweet little one, I am excited to read your account of it! A blog is a brilliant idea.

Correction - you ARE an eloquent writer and you kept me riveted throughout your last two adventures.

We will be with you the whole time!

kisses and bon voyage!

Linda said...

I read about your upcoming journey on the Suzhou Yahoo Group and just wanted to wish you well on your journey. Your Christmas picture is just great - you have a beautiful family!

Daniela said...

I AM SO EXCITED I'm about ready to pee my pants. Just kidding. But I am SO happy that kidlet-quatro will be joining you family soon! Thanks for letting me know about the blog.

Ramona said...

My God, you have the energy of a fifteen year old! Have a wonderful and safe adventure. I will be reading along with you.

Jeanette said...

You are a WONDERFUL writer and I can't wait to read all about your adventures. I am so excited to welcome the new little girl!
lots of love