Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Housekeeping: figurative and literal

On to housekeeping chores. First the figurative....if you received an announcement about this site from a yahoo email account, please don't send things to that email address. It won't be answered! While in China, I will continue to monitor my regular email account, so feel free to use that address! (Or just comment here to show me the bloggy love.)



Next (and I guess this is still more figurative housekeeping, as it has nothing to do with my actual house), we received the itinerary from our agency about what our days in China will look like. Here it is:



3.8 - P and I arrive in Nanjing, the capital city of Jiangsu province

3.9 - We have a day in Nanjing to recover from 30 hours of travelling, and get our bearings.

3.10 - We will meet Zhong at the Provincial Civil Affairs office in the morning. This will begin our 24 hour "bonding period." This period of time is standard in Chinese adoptions, to give parents a chance to do what??? I am not sure. I think this is a period of time that some (although hopefully very few) adoptive parents decide that this adoption isn't for them (**see below for my editorial comments about this....) Interestingly, we did not have this allotted period of time with M. We DID sign paperwork at the time saying that we had had this period, and found her acceptable, but we actually did nothave the official period of time. We signed all the papers on the very afternoon we met her!!

3.11 - Return to the Civil Affairs office and complete adoption paperwork, registration, notarization and start the passport process.

3.12 - take P to the airport to fly home....wasn't that a short trip for him? But he DOES get to fly back without being responsible for anyone but himself!! Z and I will then take the train to Suzhou city, the city where her Social Welfard Institute (SWI) is located.

3.13 - We will visit the SWI in the morning (I am unbelievably excited about this opportunity. We got to spend lots of time in the Children's Center in Vietnam where the boys lived, but did not receive permission to visit M's SWI in 2004.) In the afternoon Z and I will visit some botanical gardens and the Suzhou.

3.14 - Take to train back to Nanjing, pick up Z's passport and then fly to Guangzhou

3.15 - Do Z's medical exam and visa photo

3.16 - Sightseeing, hanging out in Guangzhou, where the spring time weather should be fabulous!

3.17 - 9am visa appointment

3.18 - Oath at the US Consulate office, pick up visa

3.19 - Depart for home!



Now to the literal housekeeping - Today is the first day since Feb17th that we have not had houseguests. We of course had a great time with everyone. The last set of guests was a family of 8 that included 6 kids, five of whom are under 10. Combined with my three, this made for a crazy, fun place. But, now that the guests are all gone, I am setting things right in the house, piling my dining room table high with things that are going to China, and getting everything in order! Hard to believe that we leave a week from today!



** Editorial comments - I think that it is truely difficult to assess what a child's personality, capabilities and suitability for a particular family are like when they are experiencing one of the most traumatic and scary events in their lives. Although I think very few parents use this "bonding" period as a way of disrupting their adoption of a particular child, it is still something that happens sometimes. All of my children have reacted/acted differently with us during the first 72 hours of their lives with us, then how they reacted/acted once they got to know us. In fairness, I likely acted/reacted to them differently to them in those first few days then I did once I got to know them, and what they wanted, needed, and how their unique personalities shaped how they wanted those needs met! T's transition to us was extremely difficult, but within 3 weeks he was a different kid, within three months he was completely different, and today he resembles that "boy of day one, two and three" not at all!

8 comments:

Jeanette said...

I can't believe it is a week away!!

I wish I had the funds and time to travel to China and help you on the long journey home!

Anonymous said...

Heather, You've been keeping your real age from me all these year. And I thought I was the "old" one. I must admit you look wonderful for 55. No AARP cards here. Obviously I found your email and blog. Zhong is so cute, I can't wait to see more photos of her. Peace and blessings on your travels and on you little people at home. I'll talk to you soon. T

Anonymous said...

testing, testing

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We are SO excited to have this long journey about over for all of you. To say nothing of being able to hold Zhong and love her. AND get pictures of all four of our ALBQ grands. We love you all.

Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Heather:
It is great that you are finally getting to go to China to pick up Zhong. It will be an exciting time and I know mom will be able to handle things at home with V-M-T. ^_^ Dai Jobu Desu--No Problem so don't worry.

Love you all,

Dad

Molly said...

It is so lovely to see comments from your wonderful mom and dad! What good grandparents.

It's just around the corner and i think of you every time I see the string of denim around my wrist.

I love reading the itinerary!

kisses -m

Anonymous said...

I just don't think there is enough excitement in your life, Heather. :) Just kidding. I'm hanging onto your every word and you've not even left the country yet! I can't WAIT to experience the excitement of this adoption through this blog. If there is anything better than living vicariously through other people when you're stuck at home for third week in a row with sick kids - well I haven't found it yet. :)

I think it's funny that anyone would think that they could figure out whether or not a kid would be a good fit for their family from the first few days. I know birth is a little different (you don't get all the thrill and excitement of going on a fabulous trip to China, for example) but let me tell you, I would have seriously considered sending my temperamental colicky daughter BACK if I'd had that option. :) But now, I love her spunky spirit and wouldn't give her up for the world.

So, all this blahdy-blah really is my way of saying, "Hold on little Zhong - Mum and Dad are coming! And because we love your new folks, (and because our own lives are that much less exciting and we don't have anything better to do) we'll all be there with them in spirit, lifting you up in prayer, (or thinking good thoughts, or whatever it is we're prone to do). And we know you're the perfect one for them, and them for you, because God's hand is on it - and he knows what he's doing.

Virtual hugs and kisses, from the neighbor who will be prone to spoiling you rotten when you're Mom's not looking. :)

Sherry - Mommy Missionary said...

Just want you to know that I found your blog...can't wait to take this journey with you...again! :)

Love,

self-deemed, Auntie Sherry